Tuesday 17 January 2012

The hair cut

I decided that it was a little hot with my hair length so it was time to solve the problem. Sue's "son", Moses 1, took me to the local barber and he negotiated as I watched the kids get their head shaved with the clippers. The barber didn't speak English but short is the norm here. (actually hairless is the norm) He dug far and deep in his drawer to get the clipper parts for me and off he went. He kept having to fluff my hair as he cut but in the end it looked quite good they tell me. It sure is a lot cooler with the breeze flowing through everywhere and not just the bald spot on top.

Tuesday morning I walked up to the hardware store to get a few more brushes and masking tape to finish the Rotary sign. I taped off the cogs and went to work painting the outlines of all 26 of them. I then went to get the "apricot paint" that was left , however, when I opened the can I found that it was the wrong colour, the painter had put the wrong lid on it. Luckily Sue had to go to Kampala again to register Mamma Watali for a tax number so we can get the container released from Mombassa. Even more luckily the guy in charge of the government section that deals withthese numbers is a Rotarian and he is trying to speed the process to get us going. On her way back she is coing to check a few places as the colour we require is only sold in 3 gallon jerry cans in Luweero and I need 3 tablespoons!

Our town crier is on a roll this week as he is advertizing the different schools for people to send their kids. He starts the morning, 6am or earlier, with basically "good morning everyone who is awake - if your not up yet why?" then he is off describing the attributes of the different schools.

The power has been out more than normal, and their is a continual smell of burning stuff in the air. Last night as even worse as it was market day so the number of cooknig fires doubled. This is not a place for people with Asthma or sore eyes.

1 comment: