Saturday 21 January 2012

Thursday

We arrived at Maama Watali with construction in full swing. Everyone is looking forward to the end of it (even the workers I suspect - they haven't been home in a week) In speaking with John it was decided that we should fill in the centre drain trench since we have repaired the eaves there won't be a reason to keep it and it will be much safer for everyone. I agreed but he had to use the aggregate from the garden as I really want the garden cleaned - theme here. I arranged to borrow the ladder from the carpenter and off I went up on the roof to repair the sign. I finished the Rotary Sign and started on the Maama Watali but I ran out of tape for the letters and I had to walk to the next town to get some as the hardware stores in Luweero didn't have any.  It was getting late when I returned as I stopped and spoke to a few people and the carpenter also wanted to finish up and go.

I want to share a few of the comments from the girls in the house so show the impact of what is happening here.
When asked about the construction and disruption one said " I used to say I lived across from the theatre but now I tell people that I  live in the prettiest house on the street."
When asked about living at Maama Watali  another said " I came here and now I am safe and I can dream".
Another has been praying -apparently harder than me- that the container will arrive as she wants to have a chemistry book.
To say that this place changes you is a very big understatement.

The girls have also put their craft making on hold due to the upheaval so their source of income has been disrupted. All of us have ordered items  to ensure they get a few "sure sales" before we leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment