Saturday 28 January 2012

Jan 28th - the shower "et al"

The placement of the new water tank are has removed a work area from the facility and the girls bath in one of the stalls of the pit toilet. Last night as we all chatted we decided that the girls needed to have a shower area that was private but not in the toilet area. On our way this morning we picked up some rope to use a as shower curtain rod. Once we arrived we noticed that the building behind was being renovated. This was accomplished by setting fire to the roof. These renovations included removing the tying location of one end of the clothesline so we now had to deal with this issue. We created a raising and lowering unit using rope and a coke bottle as the top "pulley" that the rope would slide over. This worked quite well and also gets the laundry up from everyone walking through it. Next on to the shower. Speaking to the girls they wanted a small enclosure nothing what we had envisioned so we sent Moses off to by the wood (better prices when the locals go) he and Steve came back with 2x4s that were heavier than any Canadian wood and also were so wet that they dripped when nailed. Nailing was interesting as the only hammer we could get (I have 3 in the container) had a handle 4" long and the face had been hit and worn for so long that it was level with the handle. Our saw had a broken handle and only 10" of teeth were still on it but the middle ones were worn almost flat.(I have an electric saw in the container) Removing nails from old wood we scavenged was accomplished by using my multi-tool (thanks my son Chris) and leveraging with another piece of wood. (I have screws and nails in the container). The stall was built and Madeline and Shalan went shopping for material for the walls.  It looks quite remarkable but I do miss my tools. Did you notice or ongoing theme - everything we need is in the container.

As we removed the wood from our garden we saw that bean  plants were sprouting almost 4" high so we built trellises and put a new wall around the compost. Madeline and Shalan are off looking for seeds - tomatoes , Swiss chard and another vine plant as we have 3 trellises since the neighbour came bye and picked up their old bed and left the trellises. I can only wait so long.

The container remains elusive. It is in Kampala and I want to go and at least take a picture. We had delivery for Saturday but as I write at 5 pm it has not arrived and not likely to. The next delivery day is Monday but that is market day in Luweero so trucks cannot get through the closed streets which means Tuesday at the earliest. I was scheduled to leave on Thursday but I will have to stay on as I need a week at least to complete the set up.

I am now rescheduling work commitments and trying to get flights changed - Sorry to all who are effected.

At the rate the beans are growing I may eat a bean from my plant before I leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment