Wednesday 8 February 2012

It continues

Wednesday morning I slept in believing that the container was on its way. Sitting at the breakfast table I received a call from Sue. Jackson was on his way to pick me up as she figured I should come in. When she arrived the agent advised there was more to pay. I think I was visibly angry this time and by the time we were 1/3 of the way Sue called to say there were storage, handling, and other charges we had to pay. I now had over an hour to stew. Sue was also required to get a stamp for Maama Watali so the documents could be stamped as her passport and ID were not enough. We picked up the stamp from Sue and I advised I was going to deal with it, she was waiting on other documents to bring. When we arrived, Jackson and I were met by the agent who I promptly told I did not want to deal with and told him to get me the guy in charge! If you don't know know me the wrath of Brad is interesting to watch. The receptionist started to try and deal with it and the agent was trying to play me. I asked if the receptionist was the person in charge - No she is the person you pay the money to. He didn't get it! I told the receptionist I wanted to the guy in charge! she took Jackson and I to a large table in the middle of the open concept office and asked us to sit (ya right!) She brought over another man who started and I excused myself and said " are you the guy in charge?" Nope. Then I want him as this will not stop with you. Off we went to a corner and met Emmanuel- General Manger and top guy. I laid out the chain of events and highlighted the lies over the past 6 weeks. He was obviously  well schooled in customer relations as he took each one and dealt with them recognizing that there were several problems to be addressed, the worst one being his agent!

By the time we were done Emmanuel had covered the cost of the second truck we hired to transport the extra items, reduced storage costs to zero, adjusted shipping costs and guaranteed to refund any items that were covered in the original contract that were improperly accounted for. We also obtained a guarantee for any broken or damaged items upon opening the container. He also acknowledged the administrative faults which he would address and report back to me. Topping it all off with a cold glass of fresh passion fruit juice for both Jackson and I.  As a side bar Sue called Jackson 2-3 times to see if I was being good! Unfortunately the agent still managed to get it messed up in the shipping yard that required me to visit Emmanuel a few more times.

We stopped to eat on our way home after watching the truck leave the yard and even after a 1 hour break we managed to catch the truck 1/2 way to Luweero, the hills are so steep that you hold your breath hoping the truck will make it over the crest. We followed until it crested the 2 largest hills then past it and headed to Luweero. It will be a busy day unloading for all, even Moses was pulled out of school to help.

The container saga has almost ended and I have to Feb 16 to do what I had planned to do in a month!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy you will be able to see and help with the container. Maybe now life there will be a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    At last! How I wish I was still there to see all of your faces when the container finally rolled in from of Maama Watali! Enjoy, even if you have lots of work ahead unloading the thing!
    So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete