Friday 3 February 2012

Not for Kids

You may have noticed as I write that I have not included the feelings and impressions of others of the group. Madeleine and Shalan wrote me after they returned home and read the blog and felt there were items I left out. Our shared experiences have made us laugh and cry but a few need to be told. I have added my comments and explanations in italics


The one thing you missed is that the "AK47 touting ranger" was in fact "a very strong woman with a big gun", remember? oh, and you missed
_ the bruising from the game drive - four people trying to look at animals from a sunroof as we bounced through the Savanna
- the brothel -  the room next to theirs at the student hostel apparently had a second function
- the union breaks -  we found a nice bar with a thatched roof and a very short music track featuring numerous Celine Dion songs and many other light songs we all were ashamed we knew the words to. By the way the ice cream bicycle has the Titanic movie theme as its calling on a one minute cycle!
- the snake - Sue called me one night to come to hers and Chris' room while Chris was playing cards. She saw something move under the bed I moved the bed and saw a very skinny and 20" long snake wiggling away. It was apparently very poisonous so I grab the biggest shoe and made a very lucky shot. Carrying it outside with Sue watching that Chris hadn't seen it. Of course the inside joke for several days was "should we play snakes and ladders tonight"  They had a hold in their drain where it probably came up 
- your dangerous walking skills (walking into boda bodas) It was very dark one night and as I turned to face the road he came flying by I was grabbed by Shalan who probably saved my nose and other assorted parts.
- Edith and Patrick -  two very fine shop keepers who were a great source of information of where stuff was in Kasana. They always smile and take time to load my phone or talk about themselves. She came as a refugee from Rwanda with her family many years ago
- card games -  Madeleine tried to teach us Rumoli 500  - with her own rules we suspect. But it did give us many hours of fun in the evenings
- lots and lots of laughter
- dirt and burning tires - The never ending smell all day and night
- not being able to wash out the dirt -  everything has a red hue to it from the sand
- the walks
- tears and roller coaster of emotions as stories were told
- frustration moments -   so much to do and where to start - although I do admit they have some great ideas for us to work on when we get back
- grief moments
- moments of wonder
- extraordinary transformations -  you cannot be here without having it change you. I hope that I can retain most of it
- bonding of new friends under extraordinary conditions
- the value of a hug just in time -  everyone of us had moments where we were touched by something either from home or here and we counted on our friends to carry us a bit
- the getting to know the girls and listening to what they had to teach us - Adults learning from teenagers - what a concept
- the food - different and cooked with great joy
- the non-existent personal space
- making and drinking swimming pools - filtered chlorinated water 6 litres everyday- until our trip where we packed enough for several days
- playing with Ebra and his welcoming morning greetings - A two year old that screams with excitement every morning we arrive
- the meaning of gentle - two year olds can be a little rough
- children's faces - only the pictures will explain this 
- wonderment of the girls in our funny skin and hair
- babies dying on the floor at the back of the baby class
- quiet moments - we all needed them to reflect on the day

It is a long list but they are snippets of what we have and are experiencing

3 comments:

  1. So so much to process and make sense of. How to send enough courage,energy and support to our team that is still on the ground??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you just did dear heart! just as you and shalan did on the ground there. we were so blessed to have you both. miss everyone especially those still there making it happen.

      Delete
  2. glad no one told me about the snake until reading brad's blog saturday morning the day I was flying home. that would have freaked me out. I thought it was a spider which I'm phobic about. so thank you brad for taking care of it, and susan for keeping it from me. for checking our beds and luggage when I was in the shower! poisonous snake trumps the spiders!

    ReplyDelete