Wednesday 8 February 2012

You can't beleive

We attended the shipping yard right at 10 for our morning appointment. They were supposed to be ready for us but somehow 4 containers were parked in front of ours. We waited for a hour for the other containers to be removed then we were asked to open it. It has been so long since I saw it I forgot the container was silver. Once I opened it - pictures courtesy of Sue- the workers came at it with a pair of bolt cutters. I asked what they were doing as they started cutting through the rope. I was advise they were verifying the contents - it was pretty obvious since you could see the boxes of books. Next they said they were looking for the computers. Off they went tossing boxes out and I yelled after a few were broken and they were about to throw the fragile (well marked) solar controls. They had worked there way well past 1/2 way and we tried to tell them they had past the computers but they were on a fishing trip. Boxes being opened and stuff looked at even though we told them if a box said books on it it was! Over 1/3 of the boxes and all the shelving solar and soccer balls were outside when the customs officer came by took a few details and told them to repack it. This was after she decided that she liked one of the soccer jackets, 2 balls and some books for her kids. I was happy thinking it was done so I gave the workers a ball each from the bag of used ones. As they were repacking I was trying to explain that they had to put it back a certain way or it wouldn't fit. Like trying to get the item back in a box from the manufacturer after it is opened. Sue headed out to another meeting and Jackson and I watched as they attempted to repack. At the same time we had to keep an eye on the stuff outside as other workers were coming by to help themselves to the open boxes of books. I even saw a guy trying to read a French-English dictionary ( lot of good here). I received a phone call from Sue asking how much money I had on me (not enough) so we had to make arrangements to pay the "nice" customs lady  300,000 shillings to get the container cleared (no receipt) And to think she asked me about coming to Ottawa for a visit and if I would tour her around. That won't be happening! Everyone was very interested in the tricycles and tractor and they needed special attention as I tried to explain they were for the kids of Luweero. The packers were unable to get all the items back in and coincidentally the 2 tricycles, tractor and other items were left out in a warehouse that was not secure. We could not get the agent to inventory the items so we were skeptical of their safety. After we paid the clearing agent said the documents had to go to another building and a messenger was taking them by motorcycle. As soon as he was done with that the container would be released 2:30pm. Jackson and I sat around waiting being reassured that the truck would be loaded to day. However, at 4:30 we saw the agent heading out for home. He decided to leave early with his words being we would be first out in the morning. Total frustrated we left at 5:15 but Sue decided to stay in town for the evening on a hunch. A 3 hour drive home due to traffic congestion topped off the day.

Well it was at least opened on the African continent and repacked !

No comments:

Post a Comment