Monday 6 February 2012

Sunday

Our desks (tables) were not delivered on Sat as promised so I thought that I would try and figure out what happened as Sue had spent the night in Kampala. I wandered over to the next town to see if the cabinet maker was in the office but it was closed for Sunday - a rarity here. Oh well another job for Monday!

It 's getting hotter everyday I walked the 2km to the house and sat down and had a nap waiting for Jackson to get back from church and Sue to come back for lunch. The heat is making eatting a little harder fruit for lunch is a good choice and then we eat supper after dark by solar lamps!

A friend of Jackson's wanted to show us a school he had for sale so this was our afternoon adventure. To say this pllace was off the beaten track would be an understatement. Once we arrived 45 min later we were met by a steep climb up a hill wander through the cowpatties and thorns then to the buildings. The first clue that this wasn't going to work was the fact  the buildings were the last on the tour. The buildings were more suited for a hostle and were a collection of small rooms surrounding an office. I guess once people think you are in the market they will call anything a school to get us to buy as that is the presumption once you are shown - you will buy.

One of our objectives is a vocational school without physical barriers so the disabled can attend as well. We are very specific in our requirements for an area to farm for food, a soccer pitch for exercise, room for teacher quarters and room for expansion, which makes it easy to discount some properties.

After a light supper I headed back to the guest house and since we had planned to leave early Sue sent the staff a message saying to forget breakfast. Up at 6, I met the girl in charge in the parking lot and said my goodby's for the day. She was confused as they had got up early and prepared my breakfast for me. A quick call to Sue and I sat down to eggs, sausage and tea - my morning ritual. I noticed a goat had followed me to the restaurant and waited outside, as I left he came with me and walk over 1/2 way to town at my side just as a dog would do. I wasn't sure if I should take him back or let him wander but I left on the edge of the built up area happily munching someone's grass. Maybe he is waiting for me to come home to walk back.

Our trip to town was slower than normal (I guess the potholes are getting bigger). Once we arrived we had to find a bank and of course the one we picked (Barclays) wouldn't accept my card. Sue called her Kampala contacts and we found the regular bank I deal with in Kansa (Stanbic) and we were good to go. Wandering over to the shipper with a pocket full of cash  we kept our heads up.  We paid the shipper 935,000 shillings and then we were told they would call us to meet at the container. Apparently the money has to go somewhere else to meet up with the paper work!

So we are now killing time in a cool Internet cafe. I think we will go to "pork joint", Jackson's favourite, for lunch to celebrate once I touch the elusive big brown box.

1 comment:

  1. Really appreciating your posts, Brad. It all reads like a melodramatic soap opera...except it is real.

    ReplyDelete